Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pepper Sauce Cave

Two months ago, I was recalled into the scouting program at church. I previously served as the Blazer leader (11 year old scouts) for three years. Now two years later, I am back with the 14 and 15 year olds. It is the same group of kids I worked with years before. Working in the young men’s program in the church does require a significant sacrifice of time. Wednesday we had our weekly scout meeting and I was out until 8:45, Thursday we had another activity and I was not home until 9:00. I had not seen my family much this week and I was scheduled to go camping with the scouts from Friday early evening to Saturday early evening. I decided to take Soren with me since I had not seen him for a few days.

We went camping to a cave about ½ hour north east of Tucson, next to a small town called Oracle, Arizona. There is a cave close by called Peppersauce Cave (you can google it and get a good idea of what it is about). The cave sits at about elevation 5,000 ft, so even though it was 107 degrees in Phoenix, highs around the cave were in the high 80’s, and the night got down to the mid 60’s. We went camping with 11 scouts (ages 12-17), three leaders and Soren.

IMG_5284

It has been sixteen years since I have been in a cave. I was a little worried about bringing Soren, knowing that caving can require upper body strength, balance, and cautiousness not typically found in a three year old. I found a contact with a local caving group and he stated that Soren should be fine in the cave, so off we went. I don’t know how this cave was ever discovered. You have to find a small opening ½ way up the side of a narrow canyon in Oracle, Arizona.

IMG_5288

It’s a tight squeeze to get in, but the cave opens up into some giant caverns. Any stalagmites/stalactites, or other formations have long been broken by visitors. Basically the cave is a giant, muddy mess. Soren was a real explorer on the way down. We brought up the rear of the troop, and Soren kept trying to cut, or get in front of the other scouts. He just kept saying “this is cool.” We had our own head lamps ($5 at Walmart – can you believe it?) and were doing really well.

IMG_5290 IMG_5291

The cave extends for a mile through the earth to an underwater lake at the back. The whole troop made it with no problems. Something happened as we left the lake, and Soren wouldn’t stop screaming. The rest of the troop went and explored other fingers of the cave, but I decided to take Soren out. Soren refused to walk, so I was trying to balance on the slippery mud, carry a (40 lb) hysteric kid and find my way out. It was not easy. I remember visiting a cave at Lake George in 1982 and also being hysterical (I really thought it was going to cave in), so Soren’s reaction was not unexpected, nor was I that bothered by it, but I was a little perplexed that we was gun ho one way and very scared the other. Anyway we did make it out and my arm is really sore from carrying him.

IMG_5292IMG_5294

At the entrance there was a scout from a different troop who stated that he did not go in with his troop because he was scared. Soren said “It’s a little scary, but if you go with your Daddy, then it is not very scary.”

I thought everyone would like to see the pictures of Soren’s cave experience. Soren is a good camper and really likes exploring the outdoors. I am grateful I was able to bring him along and spend time with him and show him something that he had not experienced before. I am also grateful for the other 11 scouts in the program. They are good kids that use clean language and show respect for their leaders. They are all good examples of what I hope Soren will become as he grows older.

IMG_5296

2 comments:

The Nerd said...

That is awesome. Love the pics. He is darling in his headlamp. Gives me hope because my 11 year old grand nephew wants to go with me on my Grand Canyon hike.

The Malone's said...

I love that Soren went. Trent takes Jonas to all of things that Trent needs to do. These boys are going to grow up all ready bored because they've done it already. I loved going to Oracle caves when I went, but I'm with Soren, its a little scary.