Thursday, February 16, 2012

Diamondbacks Fan Fest


Every year prior to spring training the Diamondbacks host a fan fest at Chase Field.  Different Diamondback’s players, media members, and coaches go to Chase Field and pitch whiffle ball to kids, give interviews, sign autographs, and just hang out.  There are bounce houses, games, giveaways, and booths. We went to fan fest last year to try it out. Most of the lines to do any activity are long, and for some reason on the field it gets really hot. I did not think about going there again this year, but Soren mentioned it a few weeks ago and said he had a really fun time and that he wanted to go again.  I was happy he showed interest in baseball, so when I got home from a church training (at 11:00) we put on our Diamondbacks shirts and went to the fan fest.
A few photos – The first is Soren and Svea playing in a bounce house.  It had a basketball hoop in it.  I tell you, living in Silicon Valley you are on the leading edge of digital technology, living in Japan you see automotive innovation.  Living in Phoenix you see bounce house technology really expanding, its really getting ready to take off.  Mexican engineers are amazing.  The other bounce contraption is a large bounce slide that has you exit a sharks mouth.  They let Svea go, and she had such a hard time getting to the top.  It took all her muscle and she held up the whole line.  Once she got to the top, it took forever for her to get the courage to come down, I thought I was going to have to send Soren up to retrieve her, but she did it.

IMG_3285IMG_3292IMG_3283
The last video is Soren taking batting practice. Last year Soren was too little to take batting practice.  Soren and I have practiced a lot in the back yard, but with a larger bat and bigger ball so I figured he was probably big enough to give it a try. Diamondbacks Pitcher Joe Dunn was throwing when we got in line, but he was replaced by a player that I did not recognize.  He may have been a triple A player or maybe just someone they brought in for fan fest.   The size of the field and different equipment took some getting used to, but on about the 5th pitch Soren got ahold of one.  Was it his first in what will be many hits at Chase Field?

IMG_3289

No comments: