The annual fathers and sons campout was Friday, April 30th to Saturday May 1st. My structural engineering class has finals on May 11th, and the last day of class is May 4th, so I did not feel bad taking two days off to go camping. After a very difficult semester I was very happy to be able to have time with just Soren to give him 100% of my attention for two days. The campout was held just out of Forest Lakes, AZ (about 7800 ft elevation). It took about 2.5 hours from Phoenix to get there. (It looks like there are quite a few lakes in the area and I have been told they are full of trout, so I may have to go back later in the summer and check it out.)
This year the campout was combined with the whole stake. The stake provided dinner (fajitas and Spanish rice) and breakfast (pancakes, eggs, and bacon). Our ward was underrepresented, so many of Soren’s church friends did not make it to the campout. I think the overnight low, 32 degrees, scared away many people, as it almost kept me from going.
Soren and I got up to the campground around 4:00. There were still patches of snow, including what looked like a fresh dusting. Soren remembered quit a bit about camping from last year’s trip. I set up the tent while Soren ate snow. After the tent was set up Soren and I went exploring. We did similar things to last year, walking around looking at interesting rocks, turning over logs and rocks to see what we could find. Nothing really exciting, but being in the woods and just being in an unknown setting was adventure enough for Soren.
Around dinner time, it started to get cold. It was not miserable, but staying close to the fire was a must. We roasted some marshmallows and Soren did his usual collect as many pine cones as possible and through them into the fire. Around 9:00 Soren decided it was time for bed.
In the tent, Soren had his only melt down of the trip. I think he was not used to the idea of not sleeping in his bed. This, combined with the temperature made him demand to go home. He was crying and stating that he wanted to go home to Mama. Luckily I brought his Leepster Two (thanks Papa). I got him in his sleeping bag and he played his game until he feel asleep.
He only woke up once during the night. At around 4:00 am he woke me up and told me that he wanted his sleeping bag to be warmer. When I looked at him, he was curled in a ball, sleeping out of his sleeping bag, on the area where you are supposed to lay your head. He had a blanket pulled over him. I explained for the sleeping bag to be warmer, you had to get into it. He got in and did not say anything else until 8:45 am.
Because he slept in so long, we missed most of breakfast. The bacon and pancakes were gone. We had a breakfast of eggs and tortillas. I also had packed some bagels. Soren wanted to explore the rest of the morning, so we walked all over the woods. Around 11:00 we went back to camp to break it down. We left at noon.
I am glad that Soren and I were able to go. Soren did a great job again just like last year. He really finds new experiences exciting. I am grateful that the semester is winding down and that I had the time to go on the campout. I am not taking any classes this summer, so I look forward to being able to spend time with my family and working a normal schedule.
Enjoy the pics – I learned how to use the camera this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment