Friday, January 30, 2009

It's A Girl!

Yes, I know it is pretty unusual to be able to announce a pregnancy and a gender at the same time, but we had a 12 week ultrasound yesterday, and the gender guess was girl (85% accuracy).

We are so excited to make this one public. It was a long 12 weeks, and I am horrible at keeping secrets, but hopefully this is a surprise to most of you. Our official due date is August 9, 2009. I am so happy to see our family grow and can't wait to meet this little one!

The ultrasound yesterday was SO cool. I wasn't sure what to expect. There is a fetal screening for Down's syndrome that is becoming pretty common and it involves an ultrasound during the 12th week of pregnancy. I have to admit that I mostly took advantage of the fact that our insurance covered this test 100% and I thought it would be fun to get a peek at the baby this early.

The moment the technician got the baby on the screen I was blown away. I don't really know what I was expecting to see. The whole pregnancy has seemed kind of surreal - I kept thinking maybe I made a mistake and I am just feeling sick for some other reason. It is hard to really comprehend the fact that there is a new life growing when I can't feel it or see it (I don't know if he was teasing me or not, but Erik told me he didn't think the ultrasound tech would be able to see anything because the baby is still too little). Then, up on the big screen on the wall, I saw my baby moving and larger than life. 4 inches long and she even LOOKED like a baby. It is hard for me to believe that a 12 week old fetus looks so human.

The ultrasound lasted almost a half an hour. I have included a short highlight below so you can get an idea of how clear and awesome it was:

They also did some 3D ultrasound as well. I can't decide if I like these or just think they are weird. The still shots are hard for me to get used to because the baby looks lumpy, but the baby moving in 3D is pretty cool. If you are interested, you can see a sample of that here:


We are welcoming name suggestions - we are going to stick with the Scandinavian theme we started with Soren. So send 'em on in!

Love,

Ashley

6 comments:

Sara said...

Congratulations Ashley!

How amazing that you know it's a girl at only 12 weeks!

Michelle said...

Congrats! I knew it! You were feeling sick to your stomach a bit too often! Didn't I even ask if you were pregnant? :) But I am VERY impressed that you were able to keep the secret in for so long! And awesome that you already know it is a girl!

Rebekah said...

Ashley the 3D ultrasound was way cool. I want one but out insurance won't pay for it :( Congratulations.

The McEnaney's said...

Yeah I love blogs because they are perfect ways to make announcements! Congrats...who did you finally decide to use for your OBGYN?

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Sweet! So Natalie from volleyball is due 4 days before you:-) I think Heather is due just 3 weeks before you guys. This is too funny! Can't wait to play tomorrow, see ya there:-)

Lindsay Renee' said...

congrats again, and i say you go with greta. greta ashley nilssen.