Its time for our annual post. Its pretty amazing, over a year since our Tahoe Rim Trail Hike and we never entered anything into the blog. We have now been in Minden for over 5-years so most of the things we are doing now are not first time activities. Maybe not as much to post, maybe we send out texts now, maybe we are lazy. I am not sure, but just to keep the blog up and going I am sending out our Labor Day weekend adventure.
On Saturday we wanted to go on a hike and swim. We passed through our normal options (and they are good options). There is a lake above Blue Lakes called Granite Lake I had been interested in, but it is at elevation 8,800' and when you get that high, the lakes tend to be COLD. I thought the hike would be cross country, but we actually found a trail. It is on the Grouse Lakes Trail. Grouse Lakes is 6 miles above Blue Lakes with Granite Lakes only 2 miles in and a gain of ~700 feet. I told Ashley "I can't believe we have not done this one before. I bet it is going to turn into one of our favorites." For those that have hiked with us before, Lake Winnemucca is also at 8,900' and is 2.5 miles with a gain of 500'.
| The Group at Upper Blue Lakes Before the Adventure |
Two steep inclines and the rest pretty easy. It was an awesome hike. The wildflowers are still in full bloom as the snow year delayed the peak. We paralleled a small stream coming out of Upper Blue Lake to Lower Blue Lake, we crossed meadows, forests, smaller "bog" lakes. One bog lake was full of salamanders, tad poles, and a swimming garter snake. Plenty to explore.
| On the Trail - Wildflowers |
| Wildflowers in Full Bloom |
We even made it to snow! First week of September. You would not believe how fast water was dripping from the bottom of the snow bridge. Its melting so fast. Will it make it to next winter? Some of the patches obviously will, but we have been going through a hot spell which is melting the little remaining snow fast.
| Stream, Flowers and Forrest - Beautiful |
| Entering the Mokelumne Wilderness Area (1-mile in) (We are always entering wilderness areas) |
| The Snow Barely Hanging On |
We made it to Granite Lake. I did not bring wet suits or goggles. I figures it would be too cold to swim. I thought it would be like Lake Winnemucca where it was so cold it just gave you a headache and you could not stay in,but I was wrong. It was COLD, but not uncomfortable. We changed into swimsuits, and Svea was the first in. Followed by Soren, Ashley, and me. There were several little trout in the near shore hanging out under the overbank and Liv was worried she was going to smash them she kept yelling "Warning, Warning, all trout to move out of the way of the giant." But they didn't move.
| Does it Look Cold? |
| First In! |
Soren has become a good swimmer. Svea also swims most places without a life vest. Liv wanted to come out, so I grabbed a flat log that was on shore and put her on it. I didn't think it out 100%, but when she was in the middle of the lake, all the bugs in the log were now submerged and trying to get to high ground. Liv was covered in ants and spiders and screaming at the top of her lungs. Everyone on shore probably thought I was killing my kid. It was pretty funny.
After swimming I took a minute to try fishing. It was the wrong time of day, but you could see an occasional jump. This lake has Golden Trout which is a very rare native trout. I only gave it about 20 minutes but came up unsuccessful. Liv is the fisherman of the group. She shows by far the most enthusiasm out of the three kids for fishing. Notice in the pictures, no other kids around, but Liv is right there waiting to see some action. She wants to see the fly, know how I tie it. What I am looking for, where the fish are.
It was a good day. Two miles the kids hiked each way with no help. That was the farthest they have hiked without me carrying them for any portion. They have been asking about backpacking and camping. I think we may be a few years away from that, but we are able to expand our range. I was right, I think that hike will be a repeater.
| On the Trail |
| A "face" Out of Rock |
| Kids Getting Ahead of the Parents |
Monday -
On Labor day we decided to go to Blue Lakes, but just bring the canoe and paddle board. Unfortunately, it was overcast and windy. We all swam, but not as long or as vigorously as I would have liked. Blue Lakes has several "islands" where the kids enjoy swimming from one to another. We can usually find some drop offs where you can dive in. We did catch a garter snake on one of the islands, and did have a picnic, so it was fun.
Svea has been perfecting the "belly flop." She actually tries to do them. She tried one "rotating butt flop." Which Liv exclaimed was "very fancy."
That pretty much wraps up summer. Tomorrow is supposed to be 96 degrees and then nothing in the 15 day forecast above 85. We start into soccer games every Saturday next week and the mountain lakes are going to get too cold to swim in. On our drive up today, some of the bushes are already turning yellow and next month we need to get our skis. Another year done. Our kids to got to spend at least 6 summers of their childhoods in the Tahoe Area and it has been awesome (no plans to move, but you never know whats in the future). We are still exploring and finding places to visit. As they get bigger, our radius expands to new adventures. I am sad to see summer go, especially since we skied on 4th of July, I don't miss skiing yet! I want to catch more trout, hike, and swim, but we ran out of time!

No comments:
Post a Comment