Saturday, January 10, 2015

Liv’s 3rd Birthday

After 2 days in a row of skiing, we were all pooped out.  I mustered all my mommy strength to put together a fun birthday for our littlest girl, Liv.

Liv’s wish was for a meal at McDonald’s (Ah, the simple pleasures of childhood).  We met some friends there for lunch and spent several hours there eating and playing in the playplace.  Liv got her first birthday present, her new buddy, Olaf.

20150102_133012

We had homemade pizza for dinner.  There was a little excitement with Liv’s birthday cake.  I made her a from scratch homemade chocolate cake, but I filled the cake pans too full of batter.  Shortly after putting them in the oven they started to overflow hot batter onto the bottom of the oven.  Smoke filled the kitchen and we had to open up the doors and windows to let in the frosty January air.  Luckily I was able to pull together a cake from the ashes, but it was a little disappointing for me.  The cake had a subtle smoked flavor.  I don’t think Liv realized.  She wanted a princess cake with pink frosting, and that is what she got.

IMG_5734

Liv is finally old enough to understand what a birthday means.  She was ready for her day with the cake she chose and presents just for her.  We had her wear a birthday princess shirt and she had to have a birthday princess tiara (like the one on the cake) to wear with it.  She was very excited about her gifts this year, but between video taping the birthday and skyping with family I don’t have very many pictures.  She was spoiled again this year and is still enjoying playing with her new presents.

IMG_5741IMG_574220150102_194747

It is always fun to think over a child’s life on their birthday.  Liv has changed my life.  I’m glad she has a strong personality because with 3 children it would be easy for me to feel too busy to spend time with her.  She is persistent and makes sure that we spend time together snuggling, doing puzzles or reading books.  If I am busy she follows me around or asks repeatedly until I make time for her.  She makes me laugh often and keeps life interesting.  She is independent – I can get her to do what I want her to do by asking “Do you want to put on your shoes yourself or do you want me to do it?”  “I’m going to do it MYself!”  I can’t wait to see who she grows up to be!

No comments: