We had a wonderful visit again this year when Gramma Linda flew in to spend some time with us. We got in several hikes and beach days. The kids love having Gramma come to visit, we just wish we could see more of her!
It’s a busy time of year here and so our favorite beach, Sand Harbor, gets very crowded. We went there the first day to enjoy the sandy beach. The second day we decided we wanted to try something a little different and so we returned to Thunderbird Cove. There is a short hike down from a dirt parking lot to the small beach. The Cove is surrounded by huge granite boulders and has a small beach. It was pretty crowded as well with hikers and with boats anchored in the turquoise waters, but you can’t beat the setting. Breathtaking!
Fuzz with her “boats”
Soren enjoying the water
Svea loves to climb. I tried to hide how nervous she made me climbing up this boulder pile!
Friday night Grandma watched the kids so that I could go fishing with Erik. It was so nice to get away and spend a little time concentrating on improving my skills instead of worrying about kids scaring the fish or falling in the water.
The next day was Saturday so we took advantage of an extra pack mule (Erik) and tried a new spot. The Potholes are a short hike from Silver Lake and are located in a area where the Silver Fork of the American river flows over a granite shelf. Deep pools have been carved in the granite. It was much more crowded than I was expecting, but very fun and refreshing. The chilly water felt good after the hike. Most of the potholes are more like swimming holes, but there was also a natural rock waterslide and a deep (10-12 ft) deep pothole to explore. I’m sure we’ll go back after school starts and the crowds move out of the area.
The water was a little cold for Liv but she enjoyed wading in this shallow pool.
Svea jumped right in but got cold right away and “shut down”. This is a common occurrence since she is not discouraged by cold water and will play until her lips are blue. I have to force her to wear her wetsuit or this is the result:
Soren and Erik in the deep pothole. This one was so cool – I wore goggles in and felt like Ariel in her grotto when I looked up- green water with a bright circle of sky up above.
The wind over the granite shelf was quite brisk. That made being wet even colder. Meanwhile Liv explored the warm rocks sheltered from the breeze,
and Svea continued this:
After we’d had our fill of cool water, we packed up and headed home.
The next day was Svea’s big day – her fifth birthday. In the morning we went to church and then we headed to Genoa park to make Svea’s birthday wish come true. This girl is easy to please! The blackberries were ripe so we got a surprise birthday treat and picked and ate our fill.
We even got a few group pics taken. It’s impossible to get a good shot of everyone, but we did ok. In the screaming photo everyone is saying “Svea is Five!!”
Then home for Papa Murphy’s pizza (picked up on Saturday and perfect for the Sabbath) and presents.
The birthday girl’s birthday dinner of choice: a Cheese Mini Murph
Presents!!!!
And finally cake and ice cream. Svea wanted a cherry Unikitty cake with strawberry ice cream. Gave it my best, and glad I don’t have to do that again for awhile!
On Monday we returned to the Tahoe basin for a hike. We did one of our favorites, Rainbow Trail. Svea used her new Camelbak and was a happy hiker.
Soren accepted Svea as a hiking partner now that she has a Camelbak too. He stayed right by her side the entire hike.
Lunch at Izzy’s Burger Spa…. MMMM!
Before going home Linda treated us to another night of babysitting Monday night. Erik and I hiked up horse thief canyon for another evening of fishing. It is an intense hike when you aren’t doing it at 4 year old pace. I caught several pretty little brook trout and enjoyed an unbelievable sunset. So grateful for that opportunity. I felt recharged after getting to do something I enjoy with my best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment