Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November 18th Update



Aaaaah! We've been hit by another cold! I've been so vigilant this fall trying to keep us from catching any of the nasty bugs that are out there, and this is our second sickness of the season. Oh well. It's been a busy weekend. I had big plans to post this several days ago... sigh... I blog when I can, people.


Soren has been obsessed with sports lately. New addition to his toy collection have been a junior size basketball (named Anthony) and Nerf hoop and ball set. The ball is his best buddy - he has even put it on one side of the see saw and sat on the other side and bouced with it. Anthony doubles as a bowling ball - we have a set of plastic cups that double as pins. He has been playing "hoops" and "bowlin" all week. I'm grateful for some indoor fun as we have been home all week feeling yucky. He continues to learn new concepts: "I HATE this show, Mom" and new phrases: "I need some caffeine RIGHT NOW" (seriously? do you really know what you are asking for?) and is generally pretty fun to be around. I have been having some frustration with discipline and obedience. We have a great discipline plan for home, my problems all involve being away from home. He is growing up and wants to be more independent. He is so much fun.
Svea is getting so big! Her face is starting to show through, she is getting some yummy baby fat rolls, and her smile has become huge and easy. She is batting at toys placed in front of her and can even entertain herself with baby toys while I am busy cooking or helping Soren. She rolled over for the first time last night. We have had a couple of doctor visits for her the last two Fridays. Her well baby visit was great - she is a healthy, big girl. The doctor commented on her cute big belly. Her stats (as of 11/13/2009) are 14 lbs 3 oz (75th percentile), 25.5 in tall (above 95th percentile), 16.5 in head circumference (85th percentile). She knows how to work the system and has the saddest sad face I've ever seen (yes that is a real tear leaking out of the corner of her eye):

As soon as she gets the attention she desires, the sad face changes to a big gummy grin.
We saw the pediatric urologist on Friday. After we treated yet another UTI, Svea has been diagnosed with vesicouretal reflux. She has grade one on the left ureter and grade three on the right (For more detailed information, click here). The odds of growing out of VUR are pretty good for a grade one (95%) and a little worse for a grade 3 (45%). Since urine travels from her bladder all the way back to her kidneys, we have to keep that urine sterile to avoid another kidney infection. She'll have to take a low dose bladder specific antibiotic daily until her reflux problem is resolved. We'll have another round of testing when she is one to see where we are at and to discuss possible surgery. Until then we just have to keep a close eye on her for infection.

The boys have been busy catching lizards in the backyard. Soren has grabbed a couple on his own. It's pretty cute. Beautiful Phoenix winter weather is here, and we can't get enough!


Ashley

No comments: