Dear Family,
Wow… time has flown right by. I’m sure a lot has happened since last month, but I can’t remember it all now! I guess that is why keeping a regular journal is so important.
Life has stayed busy between church and volleyball, and that is how I like it! Soren and I both do much better when we have something structured to get us out of the house a few times a week.
Yesterday Soren turned 18 months old. I can’t believe how much he has grown since he joined our family as a tiny 8lb 9oz helpless infant. Church could be a totally different experience now that he is officially old enough to go to nursery. I am just a tiny bit sad that I am the nursery leader and entertaining Soren and his friends instead of enjoying class with the other adults. Oh well, I really do enjoy the calling and the sister I work with in there, so I will survive!
The biggest event of the last month was our trip to Utah at the end of September. My dad’s parents, Tom and Jerelyn, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. My dad and sister, Jenny, came home from Japan for the occasion, and Soren and I were able to stay with them in Pleasant View for a few days. The party was on Saturday, September 27th, and was beautiful. My aunts organized a beautiful program and dinner in honor of my grandparents 50 years together. It was very touching. Almost all of the grandkids performed a number relating to music from the 50’s era. I was pretty proud of my contribution to the program: I was asked to put together a slideshow of photos of my grandparents through the years. I think it came together nicely, and I had a great time doing it.
When I think about 50 years, it seems like a really long time. However, Erik and I just celebrated 7 years together. I think I could do that 6 more times. I only hope it is that easy- life is so much better when you enjoy the person you are stuck with! I just hope we can be as successful as my grandparents. They are such an example in finding happiness in the important things in life: family, faith and hard work.
While we were in Utah, we also attended the baby blessing of my youngest cousin, Davin, who was born in June. He is such a cutie. Steve and Sierra are great parents. It is so cool to see how much having a baby changes people. There are lots of expecting mothers on that side of the family (4 babies by April). I have to admit, I felt a little left out of the fun!
Oh, and before I forget, I have to mention a milestone in Soren’s life. While at my parents’ house in Pleasant View, Soren and I had a little clash of wills (as we often do these days) and he became very upset. I couldn’t believe it when I reached out my arms to him and he turned away and ran to Grandpa! That was a first; he hadn’t ever chosen another person over me before. It is fun to see him grow closer to his extended family, and just a little bit sad to realize that I won’t be the center of his life much longer!
I was able to spend a day with my sister Steph at her apartment at BYU, and spent the night at Jake and Mekelle’s apartment as well. They all reminded me of the busy days of school and work. I am glad those days are over! They are fun to have as memories, but ONLY as memories! I am so proud of those three and the goals they are accomplishing.
Our final destination in Utah was Papa’s house. Soren was excited to see Larry and explore the many fun “toys” he has at his house. No one else lets him play with expensive electronic equipment and unload all the cupboards quite like Papa does! We were able to go on a nice easy walk by a stream, and we also visited Hogle Zoo. Soren really impressed his Papa with a few of his new skills, and we had a lot of fun.
I have to admit, I was very relieved to get home. It is hard to cart around a one year old while trying to live out of a single suitcase. We have settled back into our routine here at home, and things are going great. We got to see my grandpa and grandma Sorensen again yesterday – they brought down their last load of fresh peaches to the Phoenix area, and we were able to meet up for dinner and a short visit. Plus – YUMMY – more peaches. I am going to be busy tonight freezing and canning these babies!
Next post I will try for another talking update video. Soren’s vocabulary is growing every day, and I think he understands everything I say now.
I guess I will close for now.
Love,
Ashley
Monday, October 6, 2008
October 6 Soren Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment