Thursday, June 19, 2008

Soren Update June 19, 2008

Dear Family,

I can’t believe three weeks have passed since I last wrote. Time flies when you are having fun!

Since I last wrote, we spent two weeks going to swim lessons. I was a little nervous at first – we took them at the public pool near my house. I wasn’t sure what to expect. We had a BLAST! The first few days were a little cool, so Soren wasn’t too thrilled about getting in the water, but after that he really seemed to enjoy it. The class was full of people I know from church, and the teacher was really laid back. It is basically free play time in the water. We are taking two weeks off while my sister is here, but we will be back in session for the whole month of July.

Time flew the entire two weeks of swim class. We did find time to go to the Hall of Flame, a firefighting museum in North Phoenix with our friends Taisey and Nathan. We also went to dinner with my friend Lori in Scottsdale for her birthday. Soren celebrated his second first birthday and got spoiled with birthday gifts. He was making this adorable face with a wide open mouth every time he looked at his new gifts.

My sister came into town on Thursday for a two week visit on her way home from Japan. We are so excited to have her here. Soren loves to hang out with her in her room and show her all of his toys. He tries to trade her for her toys, but I think he has to wait for cell phones and i-pods for a few more years! We have been out shopping and swimming almost every day since she got here. It is HOT, HOT, HOT! Jenny is definitely getting the Phoenix summer experience!

One fun thing we were able to do with Jenny was take her to a Diamondbacks game. A friend of mine hooked us up with some awesome free tickets. We were directly behind home plate on row 28. It was a lot of fun. Soren was good the entire game even though it was all past his bedtime. They had the roof open and the A/C going, so it was a beautiful night. The D’Backs even won in the 10th inning after no scoring the entire game. It wasn’t the most exciting game, but just being at the ballpark is relaxing, so it was great.

Soren is growing up fast. He is very comfortable walking around now, and has started climbing on everything in sight. His new hobby is to blindly grope around on the counter tops and grab whatever he can feel. I have had to change some of my cooking habits to keep him safe! He is also eating grown up food almost exclusively. He insists on feeding himself most meals. It is messy, but oh so cute! It is bittersweet to watch my little baby growing into a more independent boy. I love to watch him learn new things each day, but I miss the little infant who depended on me for everything.

Enjoy the videos and the pics.

Ashley

1 comment:

Larry Nilssen said...

Ashley: Soren was the hit of the Connecticut gathering, and I thank you so much for making the effort to go all the way there. I am sure that both sides of the family are proud of you and Erik and delighted with your efforts.
The blog and webcam are priceless for shortening the distances between us and letting us share each step in Soren's journey.
Love, PapaN