Dear Family,
I feel like it has been months since I last wrote. We had an amazingly relaxing and fun vacation to visit Erik’s extended family in Connecticut. We left Wednesday morning last week and got home the following Wednesday night. I am sure that I won’t get all of the details into the trip – it was a blast!
We stayed with Erik’s grandparents. They are such gracious hosts! They spoiled us rotten with toys, food, and great company. They got a chance to get to know Soren very well last week (probably too well!).
On Thursday and Friday, we were able to unwind and relax. The weather was quite cool, so we had a chance to wear our long sleeves for a couple of days. We even received some rain showers. We went to Ballentyne Memorial Park near Erik’s grandparents home so Soren could get out some energy. Erik and his grandpa played some tennis while Soren and I enjoyed the green grass on the baseball field. Friday night Erik and Soren and I snuck out and grabbed a couple of delicious ice cream sundaes.
Saturday was a beautiful day, with a few scattered clouds. We went to Erik’s Aunt Janet and Uncle Tom’s house to help set up the tent, tables and chair’s for Sunday’s party. I wasn’t much help this year because I had to follow Soren around. Jan and Tom have a beautiful home. Their grounds are gorgeous, and there are a couple of cute ponds. Soren was especially interested in those, so I had to make sure he didn’t get too close of a look! We stopped at a playground on our way home. Later that afternoon, Erik and I took Soren back out to play at Ballentyne.
Sunday was spent at the party! Erik’s cousin, Alison, graduated from Albany Medical College as a Physician’s Assistant on Thursday, so her family threw a big bash to help her celebrate. There was food, a folk singer, whiffle ball, and lots and lots of fun. The party went from 1 pm to late into the night. Soren had a great time running around the grounds and playing with the other kids that were there. The weather was beautiful and warm; ideal for a day outside. Congratulations, Ali! I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.
Monday was Memorial Day, and Erik’s cousin, Alana’s birthday. We headed right back to Aunt Janet’s house to celebrate for the second day in a row. Jan and Tom live in a small town called Bethlehem. They have a quaint Memorial Day parade and service. It was very touching. I found myself refreshed in my love for my country and those who sacrifice to defend it. I especially loved the bagpipers – we stood right by them during the service and their music gave me goosebumps. After the festivities, we went to Long Meadow pond near Janet’s house to see if Soren was interested in swimming. He didn’t do too well in the cold water, but he did love the mud! After birthday cake, we headed home and fell into bed.
As if partying for two days straight wasn’t fun enough, Gramma and Papa decided to take us out to Norwalk on Tuesday to visit the Maritime Aquarium. It was about an hour drive out to the coast. Soren must have morphed into his next level of development during the night, because he was out of control. He ran through the exhibits and climbed on everything he could get too. I used to be able to trail behind him and then catch up when he got close to danger, but now he is too quick for me! Life is definitely going to be more exciting now. We were able to see lots of interesting things at the aquarium. My favorites were the 7 seals, the sea turtle, and the tiny baby seahorses. After the aquarium, we were taken out to a beautiful restaurant on the harbor where we enjoyed a yummy seafood lunch. A storm came in while we were eating. The water was so beautiful as it changed from blue-sky weather to thunderstorm. We ran out to the car and drove home in the rain.
I didn’t mention the frog hunting. We had multiple trips scattered throughout the week. The pond is just below the condo, so we would sneak down in between golfers and try to catch one of the bullfrogs basking in the sun. Erik managed to catch one. I didn’t get any this time. Soren was surprisingly uninterested in the frog – we will have to try that again when he is a little older!
Since we had to go home on Wednesday, we spent Tuesday evening visiting. Erik’s dad and brother were there, as well as Aunt Janet and Ali. It was so nice to get to know Erik’s family a little bit better. I thought that a week’s visit was going to be too long, but I was very sad when it was over. I love all of them so much; it is hard to be so far away!
Well, this has turned into quite the epistle. I guess I will close now. Love to everybody -
Ashley
Thursday, May 29, 2008
Soren Update May 29
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment